How to Get a Library Card
How to Apply for a Library Card
Anyone may apply for a Boynton Beach City Library card. Residents are eligible for a free library card and non-residents are eligible for a library card with a $30 fee. You are eligible if you:
- Live within the City limits of Boynton Beach
- Own a business or lease commercial property in the City limits of Boynton Beach
- Are an employee of the City of Boynton Beach
- Live in the unincorporated area of Palm Beach County
- Live in a city that cooperates with the Palm Beach County Library System or a city that has a reciprocal agreement with us (Delray Beach, Lake Park, Lantana, Lake Worth, North Palm Beach, Palm Springs, Riviera Beach, or West Palm Beach)
- Are a student in the Palm Beach County Schools-elementary through high school
- Possess an active SEFLIN One Card in good standing
- Are a short-term resident of at least three months with documented proof
Apply in person to obtain a Boynton Beach City Library Card. Bring a current photo ID with your name and current address plus one other form of identification listed below with the current matching address. If your photo ID is not a Florida ID or has an old address, bring two forms of identification with your name and current address. The Boynton Beach City Library Card is valid for three years. Renewal procedures are the same as obtaining a new card.
Residents of Highland Beach, City of Boca Raton, Town of Palm Beach, Manalapan, Village of Golf or Town of Gulf Stream may apply for a Non-Resident Card for a $30 fee. See our information on Non-Resident Cards.
Acceptable Forms of Identification that include the applicant's name and current address:
- Auto Registration
- Utility Bill
- Pay Stub or W-2
- Credit Card Bill or bank statement
- Voters Registration
- Any official proof of residence with your name and local address
- Any of the above or similar official proofs on your cell phone
Children must apply in person at the Library with a parent or legal guardian to obtain a Library card. The parent or guardian must have the two forms of identification as outlined above. A legal guardian must show proof of legal guardianship. The parent or legal guardian assumes responsibility for all Library items lost, damaged or overdue collection fees.
Start the process of applying for a library card online by selecting this link and then selecting "Register Here." This digital card will temporarily give you immediate access to selected electronic databases.
Come in person to the library within ninety days to complete your registration for a physical card, and remember to bring all the necessary documents for confirming card eligibility. See the "Acceptable Forms of Identification" list for all accepted documentation.
A short-term, one-month library privilege card may be issued if the patron has only part of the required proof of local residence at the time of registration. The short-term card is not eligible for renewal and items checked out are not eligible for renewal. If additional proof of local residence is supplied within the one-month period, the privilege will be extended to three years.
When an individual cannot produce a picture ID with their current address or any of the other approved forms of identification listed above, the individual is eligible to apply in person for an Adult Temporary Library card. The individual must bring a signed and dated letter or legal document that verifies the individual's address as a short-term residency. The document could be a temporary residence rental agreement or a signed and dated letter from the property owner or residence manager. A Temporary Library card is issued for one month and must be renewed monthly with an updated residence letter. A Temporary Library card has the following borrowing privileges: 3 items total at any one time with no renewals.
A Boynton Beach City Library Card can be issued for computer use only. Apply in person with a photo ID. This card is valid for three years. No borrowing privileges are granted with the Computer Usage Card.
The SEFLIN One Card (formerly the Sunshine Library Card) allows reciprocal borrowing privileges between:
- Boynton Beach City Library
- Broward College Library
- Everglades University Library
- Florida Atlantic University Library
- Florida International University Library
- Jose Maria Vargas University Library
- Larkin University Library
- Palm Beach Atlantic University Library
- Palm Beach County Library System
- Wilton Manors Public Library (Richard Sullivan)
- School District of Palm Beach County
- St. Thomas University Library
Any individual 18 years or older, who has had a Boynton Beach City Library Card for one year and is in good standing, is eligible to apply for the SEFLIN One Card. All SEFLIN One cards are obtained through the Library Research Department.
An individual who teaches in a school located in Palm Beach County (PBC) and does not otherwise qualify for a Boynton Beach City Library card is eligible to apply in person for a Boynton Beach City Library Card if they provide proof of where they teach. The teacher must produce a picture ID with their current address, one of the other approved forms of identification listed above and show a current school year employee identification card with their name and the name of the school.
An individual is eligible to apply for a Non-Resident Card for a $30 fee. The card is valid for one year. The individual must apply in person with a current photo ID with their name and current address and one of the other approved forms of identification listed above with the current matching address.