A0098 – Don Cherry Jr. Photographs


A0098 – Don Cherry Jr. Photographs

DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Date span: 1923-1924
Physical description: 5 items

ADMINISTRATIVE INFORMATION

Restriction on Access: The collection is available for supervised use by appointment during normal Boynton Beach City Library hours. Users are required to comply with the library’s regulations governing use.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction: Materials in the collections are to be used for private study, scholarship, or research in accord with the copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code). The Boynton Beach City Library adheres to all conditions specified in the law when providing reproductions of copyrighted material. Any use of a reproduction in excess of “fair use," may result in the user’s liability for copyright infringement.

Additional physical form available: Many photographs scanned and available online.

Acquisition information: 2022.002.006

Custodial history: Sent to Marie Shepard of the Boynton Beach Historical Society.

Preferred Citation: From the collections of the Boynton Beach City Library Local History Archives, Don Cherry Jr. Photographs (A0098), item number

Processing Information: Collection processed and finding aid created in April 2022 by Georgen Charnes.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

Historical Note: William Conant Shepperd (1871-1955) and Clara Abbott Shepperd (1873-1964) came to Boynton in 1923 with their daughters Pearl (1894-1950), Dorothy (1896-1981), and Thelma (1899-1974). W.C. was an agent with Southern Railroad in Chattanooga. They purchased the Austin Fruit Farm, which featured a large clapboard house on Federal Highway, which they named “Kenilworth,” after the novel by Sir Walter Scott. The house was built around 1912 by Frank Austin and was surrounded by mango groves. Pearl married several times, and was mother to Don Cherry Jr.; Thelma married Col. William O. Poindexter. Dorothy lived in Kenilworth until her death. The house had to be moved back when U.S. 1 was widened in 1962, and was later demolished. The land is now [2022] owned by the City and is the home of the Intracoastal Park.

Scope and Content Note: Photographs of Kenilworth House and the Shepperd family.

CONTENTS

A0098-001 Man holding dead bobcat, 1924
A0098-002 Pearl Shepperd with fish, 1924
A0098-003 Shepperd family picking guava or mangoes, 1924
A0098-004 Shepperds examine their banana crop, 1924
A0098-005 W.C. Shepperd and Clara Shepperd, 1923