CALL TO ARTISTS: QUANTUM ECO PARK
DUE NOVEMBER 1, 2021 5:00 PM
The City of Boynton Beach Public Art Program seeks an artist to join the design team for the new 60-acre Quantum Eco Park at approximately 3111 Quantum Blvd, Boynton Beach, Florida.
Required Artist Services
Develop affordable artistic ideas for the new Eco Park in collaboration with the design team for the current and future park development. In the first phase, the artistic ideas can be implemented without significant additional cost to the construction of the landscape or park elements. The artistic ideas for future park development may include direct artist creations such as sculptures or ornamental gateways. These future creations may be artworks by the contracted artist or other artists.
The artist will prepare a visual document of ideas that can be presented to the Art Advisory Board for review and approval. The illustrations of ideas for the first phase must be sufficient for incorporation by the design team into construction documents. All the first phase ideas should be acceptable to the design team, Public Art Manager, the Director of Recreation and Parks, Director of Public Works and City Manager.
For purposes of clarity, the following are the types design modifications that might be possible in the first phase:
- Direction, shape and topping of hardscape such as sidewalks or shelter floors
- The clearing of existing or installation of new trees, palms & other plants
- The use of earthmoving equipment to make berms or retention areas.
- The sandblasting, imprinting or staining surfaces such as sidewalk, benches, rocks, etc.
- The reuse of existing stones, or if affordable, the acquisition of stones.
- The shaping or modifying dead or dying trees.
- The placement and method of lighting.
- The design of directional or interpretative signage.
- Affordable additions to benches, shelters, lamppost, etc such as laser or waterjet cut shapes
As a member of the design team, the artist will participate in any public presentations. If the artist wishes to engage members of the Boynton Beach community in a dialogue about the park and its elements, the artist must secure the approval of the Public Art Manager who will confer with other City departments.
Talented visual artist with experience in public art projects
Knowledge and artistic interpretation of Florida flora and fauna
Thinking demonstrated in part artworks that could be used in the design of a natural landscape and typical park elements such as sidewalks, gateways, benches, shelters, signage, docks, etc.
Experience working with professional designers such as landscape architects, architects, engineers and graphic designers.
Knowledge of the cultural traditions and innovations of the diverse communities living in Boynton Beach.
Must be a US citizen or green card holder.
Must be able to secure general commercial liability insurance for the term of the contract.
Owners, employees or subcontractors of the design team for Quantum Eco Park.
Members, immediate family members and business partners of the members of the Art Advisory Board.
Members of any City of Boynton Beach advisory board or City Commission.
Employees of the City of Boynton Beach.
To expand the diversity of artists creating work in the City of Boynton Beach, artists that have not been previously commissioned for public art with the private developers or the City under its Art in Public Places program.
Artists with life experiences with the diverse ethnic and cultural communities of Florida including but not limited to African Americans, Caribbean Americans and Hispanic Americans.
Artist based in south Florida at least 50% of the year.
The artist will be paid $5,000 for the required artistic services including all travel.
The work will begin late fall 2020 and complete prior to spring 2020.
The artist must be onsite at least three separate times during the design phase. Most meetings and discussions will be virtual.
If agreed at the end of the contract, the artist may be hired for additional work and advice for the fabrication and construction phases.
As the artist is part of the design team, any general ideas to enhance the Eco Park developed during the design will belong the City of Boynton Beach. The artist will maintain the copyright to any specific design element illustrated and grant the City rights to reproduce the illustrations for any and all non-commercial purposes.
Submit the following to Public Art Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM EDT, Tuesday, October 26, 2021.
- PDF of Cover Letter with brief artist statement, artist contact information, artist website and one social media address, and, regarding design collaboration, two references with phone numbers and emails.
- PDF of Resume
- PDF of 15 images of relevant artwork or projects in horizontal format. Must have a minimum of ten unique works or public art projects. Any explanatory text should be in the PFD. See sample image below. Be simple.
Glenn Weiss, Public Art Manager, email@example.com, 561-742-6026
See Attachments at bottom of Call to Artists Page