Business Tax Receipt (BTR) Guide

Business Tax - Location/Hours: 
100 E. Ocean Ave., Boynton Beach, FL 33435 
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. 

Thank you for choosing Boynton Beach as your place of business. Both a City and County Tax Receipt are required for any business performing services or selling goods, advertising goods for sale on the internet, or renting a property with a City address. Please note that a Business Tax Receipt must be obtained BEFORE the business begins operation.

The information on this page is not intended to be all-inclusive; it is offered as a basic guide, providing general information.  For further questions, please contact the Development Services Office at 561-742-6350.

All applicants must submit:

Coming Soon

  • Coming Soon

Verification of zoning, occupancy use and any environmental requirements associated with operating a business in Boynton Beach will occur before a receipt is issued. All new business locations are inspected ensure compliance with life/safety, building, environmental and zoning code requirements.

Any change made in receipt status, such as physical address change, ownership or name change will require a new BTR application.

Multiple Licenses may be required.

Business Tax Receipts are  valid for one year, from October 1 through September 30. 

Yes, in 2006, the Florida Legislature enacted a law officially changing the term “occupational license” to “business tax receipt” (BTR).

It is required when doing any of the following in the City:

  • Opening a business
  • Expanding a business into a new space
  • Starting a home-based business
  • Transferring a business to a new location
  • Renting out residential property
  • Operating  a  family  day  care  or  group home


Please contact the Planning & Zoning Office (561-742-6260) before entering into a lease agreement to confirm that the proposed use is allowed in your zoning area.   You should also speak to the Building Division (561-742- 6350)  to  determine  whether  there  are Building Code requirements to satisfy before your business can occupy the space.

All  businesses  (except  sole  proprietorships with no employees) must register with the Internal Revenue Service for a federal taxpayer identification number.

If you plan to do business as a corporation, limited liability company (LLC) or partnership,   you   must   first   file   with   the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations.

If  you  plan  to  do  business  as  a  “DBA”,  or under a name that is neither your full name, nor  the  name  of  your  business  entity,  you must obtain a Fictitious Name Registration from the same office.

An application fee and an annual business tax, which varies by the type of business you are engaged in are due at application submittal.

Your application is reviewed for compliance with the zoning code. After the zoning review:
Home-based  businesses:  The  Business  Tax Receipt is issued; inspections are not required unless the property  is a rental unit, then a code compliance inspection is required.

Commercial  businesses:  You  must  schedule safety inspections of the business location by the Building and Fire inspectors.

Contact    Development    Services    (561-742-6350) at least two business days in advance to allow time for research of the property records.

You  must  contact  the  assigned  inspectors.  You can obtain the names of inspectors that have been assigned by calling Development Services  (561-742-6350)  on  the  morning  of the inspection.

After the inspectors submit their approved inspection results and all fees are paid, the Business Tax Receipt will be issued.  You may pick up your BTR at the Business Tax office or have it mailed to you.

Home-based  businesses:  After  payment  of fees and zoning approval (no inspections) Commercial  businesses:   After  zoning approval, passed Building and Fire inspections, and payment of fees due.


Take the form with the City’s zoning approval signature to the County Tax Collector office in order to receive their local business tax receipt.

Yes, a Business Tax Receipt for Rental Property is required if the property is being rented at any time during the tax year.

The annual license fee is $3.68 multiplied by the total number of rooms with a $35.28 minimum.