View this 'Preparing Makes Sense" video created for citizens with special needs.
Palm Beach County has established a Special Needs Shelter to provide for citizens with certain medical problems during a major hurricane. The Special Care Units (also known as SCU’s) are facilities that have auxiliary power and are not located in an area that has a high risk of flooding during a hurricane. Physicians and nurses are assigned to the Special Care Units by the Palm Beach County Health Department. Space is limited at the Special Care Units and is based on need and established criteria. Registration must be done in advance, before a storm threatens. Call the Palm Beach County Emergency Operations Center at 561-712-6400. You will need a physician authorization; your eligibility will be determined by the Health Department.
You may be eligible if:
• You are dependent upon electricity for oxygen
• You have minor health/medical conditions that require professional assistance
• You are dependent on medication
• You are immobile and/or have a chronic but stable illness
If you are accepted, you will be phoned and provided transportation to the shelters if you need it.
What to bring: When you register for a Special Care Unit, ask the Special Needs Coordinator what you should bring specific to your situation. You will also need to bring the following:
• Full and up-to-date prescription medications
• Medical Supplies and equipment, including nebulizer, oxygen, syringes, etc.
• Any special food items
• Books, cards or board games to occupy yourself
• If you bring a care-giver, he/she has to bring a chair, something to sleep on, pillow, and personal items.
• Carry your medical insurance, Medicare cards and a list of doctor and pharmacy names and numbers with you.
• Bring supplies for several days, including batteries for hearing aids and/or wheelchairs.
• Label all personal belongings, including walkers or canes.
• No pets are allowed in the Special Care Units. Make pet shelter arrangements in advance.
• If you are unable to return home, assistance will be provided for you.
• Food is provided. Bring your own dietary food.
• Notify friends and family if you intend to evacuate to a special needs shelter.
For further information about the Special Needs Program, call 561-712-6400 or contact Boynton Beach's ADA Coordinator.