Arts Culture & LearningAmerica's GatewayCatch a WaveShopping Dining & Entertainment 

 

 

Water/Beach Access

Harvey E. Oyer Jr. Park (formerly Boat Club Park), Intracoastal Park, Jaycee Park, Mangrove Park, Boynton Beach Oceanfront Park


Harvey E. Oyer Jr. Parkdocks
2010 N. Federal Highway 

General Information
Acreage:  7.92
Park Hours:  Sunrise – 10:00 p.m. (unless actively boating or fishing per Code of Ordinances Sec. 16-60)
 
Special Information
Manatees have been known to frequent the area. Boaters should use extra care when launching watercraft and when shifting out of neutral. Call 1-888-404-3922, or *FMP on your cell phone, or use VHF Channel 16 to report an injured manatee.

Parking Fees
A trailer parking/boat launching fee is required on weekends and city designated holidays ($10 per day), regardless of residency. The public can purchase a decal for $50 per year per decal. Decals are valid October 1 – September 30 (per Code of Ordinances Sec. 16-61). Decals can be purchased at City Hall or Intracoastal Park Clubhouse. Overnight boat docking is prohibited (per Code of Ordinances Sec. 16-59).

 
Amenities
BBQ grills, benches, boat ramp/docks, drinking fountain, fishing pier, meeting space, monofilament recycling bins, pavilions, picnic tables, playground, restrooms, Intracoastal Waterway
 
Historical Information
Originally owned by the Boynton Beach Boat Club (a non-profit) in the 1950’s, the park had one ramp for local boaters. The club donated the building and a small portion of the land to the City. The City acquired additional properties and developed the park in cooperation with the FL Dept of Natural Resources through the Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program in 1986 with a grant of $212,000. The renovation cost approximately $600,000 and included rebuilding the boat launching ramps, building restrooms and picnic shelters, improving the sprinkler system, renovating the Boat Club building and construction of the 310 ft. fishing pier.

In 1995, the City received $12,000 in grant funding from Palm Beach County through the Florida Boating Improvement Program for repair and replacement of the existing boat launching floating docks. The City again redeveloped the park (prior to opening Intracoastal Park) in 2001-02, adding much needed additional parking, ramps and holding docks with money from Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners. Palm Beach County contributed $900,000 towards the 2002 renovations, which included the seawall, boat ramps, 75 additional boat trailer parking spaces, new holding docks, addition of a “quiet pavilion”  (next to the building), new playground and landscaping. In 2005, the clubhouse’s restrooms and kitchen were renovated and updated. At the same time, the fishing pier was renovated and refurbished.

In 2010, more renovations were made to the park. Demolition of the restroom facilities made way for new restrooms.  The older shelters were demolished and new, sailcloth roofed shelters were added.  The renovations were funded with money granted from the Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners in the amount of $380,000.  The Recreation and Parks Department and the Art in Public Places combined efforts to include public art projects in the park and in the spring of 2011 hosted the unveiling of the public art projects, park improvements and the Florida Fishing Academy headquarters.  An unveiling event took place on April 16, 2011.  This official public event featured the artwork of Guy Snell and Peter Agardy, speeches by local dignitaries, various youth activities and an appearance by former Massachusetts governor and former presidential candidate, Michael Dukakis.   Peter Agardy, an accomplished graffiti and public artist, was selected by the Art in Public Places Program to create artwork that expresses the Boat Club Park’s character, proximity to the Boynton Beach Inlet, the City’s tag line, “Gateway to the Gulfstream,” historical connection to Boynton’s fishing community and nautical lifestyle.  The mural on the retaining wall that greets you as you drive towards the boat ramps depicts the ocean and its importance and relationship to our community. The second featured mural near the roundabout heading toward the boat ramps, "Ode to Boynton," pays homage to the history of the fishing industry in Boynton Beach and present conservation efforts focusing on tag and release sailfish practices. 

Staffed on weekends and holidays, the 704-s.f. building at the entrance to the park was built in 1986. The building was originally used as a bait and tackle shop until the late 1990’s. In 2010, the Department donated the use of it as classroom space and headquarters for the Florida Fishing Academy.  In return, the FFA spruced the old building.  Volunteers and donors have turned that “beautification” project into a work of art.  The work began in October with up-and-coming 15-year-old artist Guy Snell, an apprentice of world-renowned marine artist Wyland.  Guy painted his depiction of Boynton’s unique marine environment on all four walls of the building.  His expenses were paid by the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation. 

In the fall of 2011 the park was officially renamed after pillar of the community and longtime resident Harvey E. Oyer, Jr. who passed away in December 2010.

The boat ramps are within a 1.4-acre rock jetty basin that provides protection from wave action and is located directly across from the Boynton Inlet (to the Atlantic Ocean). In conjunction with Palm Beach County, the City coordinates the dredging of the Boynton Boat Club Navigation Access Channel of the Intracoastal Waterway, which is done every few years.

 

Intracoastal ParkPalms ICP
2240 N. Federal  Highway
(back to top)

General Information

Acreage:  9.43
Park Hours:  Sunrise – 9:00 p.m.
 

Special Information
A unique feature of this park is access for non-motorized vessel launching; swimming is not permitted in the pond or in the Intracoastal Waterway. A Veterans Memorial is located at the entrance to the park. A 1/3-mile concrete path winds around a small lake with a floating fountain.
 
The wreckage of Lofthus, a 223-foot Norwegian shipping vessel that sank off the coast of Boynton Beach in 1898 while en route from Pensacola to Buenos Aires with a cargo of lumber.  It was Palm Beach County's first officially designated underwater archaeological preserve which protects it from destruction and salvage. The ship's deck beams, mast, bow and hull have created a marine sanctuary for a variety of tropical fish, stingrays, anemones and spiny lobsters, and are considered a significant local dive spot.
 
The Lofthus was built and launched in England in 1868 and was first used in the East Indian trade. It was later purchased by a Norwegian for use in transferring lumber throughout the Americas, before eventually being blown off course by a storm and wrecking off the coast of Boynton Beach. The wreckage now rests in 15-20 feet of water. The Lofthus shipwreck is the state's eighth underwater archeological preserve. 
 
Amenities
BBQ grills, beach, benches, non-motorized vessel access, drinking fountain, meeting space, monofilament recycling bins, nature preserve (mitigation area), pavilions, picnic tables, playground, recreation building, rental shelters, restrooms, Intracoastal Waterway
 
Historical Information
The property was purchased in 1988 through a bond issue. At the time, the City Commission was supportive and a general bond referendum was passed by the voters. The park was master planned first in the early 1990's. The money became available for building the park when Palm Beach County approached the City with a desire to increase boating opportunities for local residents. The City redeveloped Boat Club Park (added additional boat trailer parking, holding docks) and was able to develop Intracoastal Park. The park's grand opening celebration was October 17, 2003.
 
There is a pond in the park's center that was slated to be a dry retention area. It was decided that a pond would serve the purpose better and be more attractive to visitors. The Utilities Department installed a hydro-guard water-flushing device adjacent to the fresh water pond the flushes clean water into the pond that is used to pump out the water to irrigate the grass areas at no cost to the City.
 
When the park was built, the existing mangrove and native coastal planting areas in the southeast corner of the property were preserved. It is a mitigation area (protected mangroves) with a conservation easement with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection.
 
The Clubhouse at Intracoastal Park opened in September 2007. The two-story building features classrooms, catering kitchens, elevator, rental space, and a 10-foot wrap-around balcony overlooking the beautiful Intracoastal Waterway.

 

Jaycee Parkwaterside pavilion
2600 S. Federal Highway
(back to top)

General Information
Acreage:  5.49
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset

Special Information
Access to the Intracoastal Waterway is accessible for fishing. The eastern edge of the park consists of a mangrove mitigation area.
 
Manatees have been known to frequent the area. Call 1-888-404-3922, or *FMP on your cell phone, or use VHF Channel 16 to report an injured manatee.
 
Amenities
Benches, bike rack, bocce courts, non-motorized vessel access, drinking fountain, monofilament recycling bin, nature preserve (mitigation area), open play area, pavilions, picnic tables, playground, rental shelters, restrooms, fitness trail, Intracoastal Waterway
 
Historical Information
The City began leasing the property in 1965 from the Florida Inland Navigation District (F.I.N.D.) for $1 per year. The Recreation and Parks Department has fully maintained it since. F.I.N.D.'s purpose for the property was to be available to place dredge materials after dredging the Intracoastal Waterway.
 
The original park was planned by the first Jaycee group in the mid 1970's who cleared the land and installed some irrigation with the assistance of City staff. Back then the property contained mango, lime, tangelo, avocado, loquat, banana and ficus trees. In 1988, a vehicle pathway was created along the northern property line that extends to the Intracoastal Waterway.
 
The Florida Inland Navigation District (F.I.N.D.) put the property on the Lands Available List in 2003. Both the City and County were interested in preserving the land and worked together to purchase it in 2004. The City received funding from the County's 2002 Recreation and Cultural Facilities Bond and through a grant award from the Florida Communities Trust.
 
In October 2007, the City began Phase I of the renovation project, with funding help from the Florida Recreation Development Assistant Program (FRDAP). Improvements, completed in March 2008, included a paved access road, an 18-space parking lot, three picnic shelters, a playground, paved sidewalk, an open play field, restrooms, and lush landscaping. Phase II, completed in 2010, included cultural education markers, art, fishing/day dockage pier and canoe/kayak launch.

The rededication was held on April 10, 2008 and the public art ribbon cutting ceremony was held in March 2011.

 

Mangrove Park
700 N.E. 4th Avenue (back to top)

General InformationMangrove Boardwalk sun n posterize

Acreage:  10.72
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset
 
Special Information
The park is located to the east of to St. Mark's Catholic Church and school in a mangrove hammock area adjacent to the Intracoastal Waterway. The park is connected by at least three tidal inlets along the western boarder. It is a great place to see a variety of animals, including birds, raccoons and manatees.
 
Manatees have been known to frequent the area. Call 1-888-404-3922, or *FMP on your cell phone, or use VHF Channel 16 to report an injured manatee.
 
Amenities
Benches, bike rack, drinking fountain, interpretative kiosk, monofilament recycling bin, nature preserve (mitigation area), restrooms, Intracoastal Waterway
 
Historical Information
Located on environmentally sensitive land, consisting of a mangrove at the east end of NE 4 Avenue, east of Federal Highway, the City leases the property from the Diocese of Palm Beach County.
 
In 1997, the aluminum boardwalk, six interpretative panels, lighted restrooms, lighted parking lot, gates and landscaping were installed. The funding was cooperation between the City, Palm Beach County, Florida Inland Navigation District, Department of Environmental Protection, Florida Recreation Development Assistance Program (FRDAP), St. Mark's Parish, The Diocese of Palm Beach, the Solid Waste Authority, and Florida Coastal Management Program.
 
The park is used by schoolchildren and environmental/conservation groups for educational aspects. This park provides a fun and educational experience, which preserves the environment and exhibits the natural beauty of our area.


Boynton Beach Oceanfront Parklifeguard stand
6415 N. Ocean Boulevard, Ocean Ridge  (back to top)
 
Contact Information
Beach Conditions:  (561) 742-6775
Beach Headquarters:  (561) 742-6565

General Information
Acreage:  12.0
Park Hours:  Sunrise – 9:00 p.m.
 
Special Information
Parking Fees:  $5 per vehicle May 1 – Nov. 15; $10 per vehicle Nov. 16 – April 30, regardless of residency.  Corporate City residents (those who reside within the corporate city limits and pay taxes to the City of Boynton Beach) may purchase an annual decal for $40 per decal. Parking permits are issued on an annual basis (valid October 1 – September 30); Non-residents may purchase a seasonal decal for $90 (valid May 1 – November 15. Decals can be purchased at City Hall or  Intracoastal Park Clubhouse. Please note that during our busiest season (January - May), the parking lot may fill up.  Resident decals do not guarantee that parking spaces are always available.

Lifeguards are on duty 7-days a week 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Parking attendants are on duty 7-days a week 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Warning Flags:  GREEN – low hazard, YELLOW – medium hazard, RED – high hazard/no swimming, DOUBLE RED – no public contact with water, PURPLE – marine pest.Sea turtle nesting season is April 1 – October 31. Sea Turtles are an endangered or threatened species, during this time of year keep lights from shining onto the beach. Security or safety lights near the beach must have shades built around the light so the beach is not directly illuminated. Bright lights will disorient hatchlings. DISTURBING A SEA TURTLE NEST IS A VIOLATION OF STATE AND FEDERAL LAWS.


Special Accommodations
Beach wheelchairs are available for public use. Anyone with a disability is asked to contact the lifeguards prior to going into the water.

Concessions
The Sand Dollar Cafe offers sandwiches, salads, snacks, ice cream, and a variety of drinks at affordable prices. Rental of beach chairs, umbrellas, and beach toys is also available.
 
Amenities
BBQ grills, beach, benches, bike rack, concession building, showers, drinking fountain, pavilions, picnic tables, playground, restroom, volleyball court, Atlantic Ocean
 
Historical Information
In 1921 there existed a municipality know as the Town of Boynton which comprised the lands now contained within the boundaries of the two municipalities now know as the City of Boynton Beach and the Town of Ocean Ridge. In 1921, the Unified Town of Boynton acquired by eminent domain for park and recreation purposes from Lewis S. Howe what is now known as Boynton Beach Oceanfront Park.
 
Boynton Beach Oceanfront Park was close to the hotel that was built by Major Boynton in the 1920's. The beach casino was built in 1928, which featured a large dining hall, locker rooms and showers and was used for parties and social gatherings. The casino was torn down in 1967 and the property later became the beach park.
 
In 1966 by Resolution, the City Commission approved the municipal beach facility to be known as Walter A. Madsen Park, in appreciation of former Mayor, Vice-Mayor and City Councilman Walter A. Madsen.
 
From the 1920's to today, Boynton Beach Oceanfront Park has been popular with residents and visitors alike. Many renovations have occurred over the years. In the 1970's there were only restrooms and a changing room. In 1983, the dune area was restored, a boardwalk was built, the restrooms and concessions were rebuilt and the parking lot as it is today was rebuilt. In the mid-1990's the park underwent a major renovation during which the boardwalk was rebuilt out of recycled plastic. In 2011 the boardwalk was renovated again, replacing the plastic with Ipe (pronounced ee-pay) wood (commonly known as Brazilian Walnut). In 2012 improvements were made to the buildings along the boardwalk, including total refurbishment of the restrooms.
 
The beach was voted the best family beach in Palm Beach County by The Palm Beach Post in 2001.

2