Arts Culture & LearningAmerica's GatewayCatch a WaveShopping Dining & Entertainment 

 

 

Special Use Parks

we make life fun









Barton Memorial Park, Boynton Beach Memorial Park, Boynton Village Park & Dog Park,Kids Kingdom Playground, Little League Park, Sara Sims Park


Barton Memorial Park
1110 NW 5 Street
 
General Information
Acreage:  6.4
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset

Amenities

Benches, cemetery (historical; not available for burials), drinking fountain, nature preserve, nature trail, open play area, picnic table, restrooms
 
Historical Information
The land was leased from the Florida Department of Transportation by the City starting in 1978. This property was originally aBarton Memorial Park North entrance stone dsc legitimate City dump and next to it was an informal cemetery used primarily by the African American community who lived in the area. On the property are gravesites dating back to the early 1900's. The site contains 20 marked graves and an undetermined number of unmarked graves. It wasn't known that there was a cemetery on the site until Mr. Alton Barton identified the plots to DOT, as his son was buried in the area. The cemetery portion of the park makes up about 1/2-acre.
 
The park is named after Alton Barton, who was born in 1944 and was put to rest in 1950. The Barton family still lives in the area and was instrumental in preserving the cemetery when I-95 was constructed through Boynton Beach in the 1970's. The interstate was originally planned to pass through the cemetery; however, recent research and a Ground Penetrating Radar survey suggest I-95 was realigned and many of the burials remain in place. The property is now closed to burials.
 

Boynton Beach Memorial Park
1611 S. Seacrest Boulevard (back to top)
 
General Informationstained glass window
Acreage:  12.41
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset
 
Amenities
Cemetery, drinking fountain, mausoleum, chapel
 
Special Information
Burials are coordinated through the City Clerk's Office. For more information contact 561-742-6060.
 
Historical Information
Boynton Memorial Park was not originally owned by the city, but was a vacant piece of land where people were burying their family members. The property was acquired in the 1950's, from the developer of High Point.
 
In the earlier (eastern) sections of the cemetery, the gravestones are all standing upright. In the latter (western) sections, the headstones are all ground level so that maintenance is safer and more efficient. There are some unmarked graves that go back to the early part of the last century. There are no records from before the time the City acquired the property, except by reviewing the existing gravestones. 

The newer sections of the cemetery are all platted and plots are sold via the City Clerk's Office. A portion of the money goes to the Perpetual Care Fund to maintain the park. There is a children's section of the park with a standing monument in the middle that represents all the children in that section. The statue was designed by artist Conrad Pickel, who had a studio in town.

In 1981 the mausoleum opened. The Hurford Chapel is named after a former Cemetery Board member.

Record keeping is handled by the City Clerk's Office. The Parks Division is responsible for all normal grounds maintenance as well as grave opening and closings and mausoleum entombments.

Boynton Village Park and Dog Park
800 Renaissance Commons Boulevard (
back to top)

General Information
Acreage:  3.00
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset
 
Amenities
Benches, drinking fountain, 1/2 acre fenced, off-leash dog area


Kids Kingdom Playground
129 E. Ocean Avenue (back to top)
 
General Informationcastle
Acreage:  0.44
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset
 
Amenities
Benches, drinking fountain, kiosk, open play area, playground, restrooms, sand box
 
Historical Information
Kids Kingdom Playground is located between City Hall and the Civic Center adjacent to the 1913 Schoolhouse Children's Museum. The 20,000 square foot multi-level play area, made of wood and recycled plastic, was a community built project with over 1,800 volunteers participating from start to completion.
 
The project was spearheaded by local activist, Mike Fitzpatrick, through the Recreation and Parks Board. The School District of Palm Beach County originally owned the property. When the School Board vacated the old high school (used after 1949 as an elementary school until it, too, was vacated in the early 1990's), the property and the buildings were given to the City. The project took two years to complete, and the park opened in April 1996. Minor renovations and repairs were done in late 1999 after a fire.

In 2011 the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA) renovated the amphitheater to improve open space for events and performances in the downtown area.

 

Little League Park
300 W. Woolbright Road (back to top)
 
General Informationll entrance
Acreage:  12.76
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset (lighted facilities open until 10:00 p.m.)

Amenities

Baseball fields, batting cage, benches, concession building (hours vary), drinking fountain, horseshoe court, open play area, pavilion, restrooms
 
Historical Information
Home of the East Boynton Little League, the current Little League area was future cemetery land for the expansion of Boynton Memorial Park. The property was acquired in the 1950's from the developer of High Point. The cemetery development began before Little League Park.
 
Prior to that time, Little League games were located at Galaxy Park (built in the late 1950's) which had only one field that was a 60' base field, serving kids up to 12 years of age. When Little League included a senior league program (up to 16 years of age), they needed a full size (90') baseball field. It was decided that both fields would be moved to the current Little League Park location on Woolbright Road.
 
In 2006, producers of ABC's Extreme Makeover: Home Edition heard about the park through applications to the show from people in the community.  This was three months after damage occurred due to Hurricane Wilma in October 2005.  It was the community spirit ABC saw in an audition that weighed heavily in the City's favor, producers said. The Boynton project, part of the show's After the Storm series on hurricane-damaged communities aired in the Spring of 2006.
 
The producers of the popular home-remodeling television show came to town to "make over" the damaged facility. ABC renovated the northeast fields where the younger children play. The City Commission agreed to spend $143,000 to renovate the northwest fields, where the older children play.
 
The makeover included new irrigation, fencing, batting cages, replacing light poles, bleachers, grass and sod and new park sign. The show's crews also repaired the roof and interior of the concession stand.

The park is home of the 2003 Little League National Champions, the East Boynton Beach Little League. For more information about East Boynton Little League programs, visit their website.


Sara Sims Park

209 NW 9 Court (back to top)
 
General InformationSims Mural November
Acreage:  6.95
Park Hours:  Sunrise – Sunset (lighted facilities open until 10:00 p.m.)
 
Amenities
Basketball courts, BBQ grills, fitness trail (1/4-mile, no exercise stations), horseshoe court, open play area, pavilions, racquetball court, restrooms
 
Historical Information
The park is adjacent to Sara Sims Memorial Cemetery. The Sara Sims Park and Sara Sims Cemetery property were originally purchased in conjunction with Palm Beach County Division of Housing and Community Development Division through their Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) fund. The first phase of development took place in 1979. In 1987, the Palm Beach County Division of Housing and Community Development transferred two vacant buildings on the south side of NW 10 Avenue to the City to incorporate as part of the park.
 
Part of the as-yet developed park at Sara Sims was designated as a cemetery in the early 1970's and plotted due to the necessity of relocating graves at Barton Memorial Park. There is still availability for gravesites at Sara Sims Cemetery and the thought is that this cemetery will become more popular when Boynton Memorial Park is no longer an option for burials.
 
When the park was planned, the neighborhood decided that the active areas should be away from houses and located on the east side of the park and the passive areas should be located on the west side of the park. The Recreation and Parks Department worked with the neighbors to ensure their desires were met.
 
The park was improved and expanded in 1989 including landscaping and irrigation improvements, new fencing, racquetball courts, a drinking fountain, a pedestrian path, basketball courts, and lighting. In 1993, Palm Beach County contributed funding through the Community Development Block Grant towards street improvements and park improvements with a portion of it used towards the addition of two lighted racquetball courts and additional playground equipment. These improvements were made in 1994.

A Graffiti Mural Project was completed in early December 2009. This project included an educational and community component. Graffiti Art is a unique form of art and is very appealing to community youth, providing a great way for them to positively express themselves. The Graffiti Mural Project was funded by the Youth Violence Prevention Program through the Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Commission. It taught youth the positive aspects of "Graffiti Art" as opposed to negative and illegal "tagging."  Social investment is key to the Heart of Boynton redevelopment efforts. The project created a series of community events called "painting sessions" that began on September 26, 2009 and continued through October 29, 2009.

In the future, the park will be redeveloped and the basketball courts moved when the Heart of Boynton (redevelopment and new housing) plan goes into effect.

2