Business Tax is a unit of the Planning and Zoning Division and is responsible for regulating all businesses providing services or performing work within the City limits. All new businesses, including home based businesses, are required to obtain a business tax receipt before commencing work.
Verification of zoning, occupancy use and any environmental requirements associated with operating a business in Boynton will occur before a receipt is issued. All new business locations are inspected to ensure compliance with life/safety, building, environmental and zoning code requirements.
Please note that submittals and/or re-submittals will NOT be accepted after 5:00 p.m. due to the time required for processing and payment of fees. Only inquiries or pick up of previously processed items will be conducted between 5:30 – 6:00 p.m. Thank you for your cooperation in advance.
The Business Tax team also verifies any state or local licensing which may be required. Depending on the nature of the business, some of the agency verifications which may be required are: Health Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Department of Business and Finance, Construction Industry Licensing Board, and Florida Department of State, to name a few.
Business tax receipts must be renewed annually by September 30*.
PLEASE CALL US BEFORE YOU SIGN THAT LEASE!
Frequently Asked Questions:
When do I need to obtain a Business Tax Receipt?
A Business Tax Receipt is required when doing any of the following in the City of Boynton Beach:
- Opening a new business in a non-residential space.
- Expanding a business into a new space.
- Starting a home-based business.
- Transferring a business to a new location.
- Renting out residential property.
- Operating a family day care or group home.
What documents do I need to include with my application?
Employer Identification Number (EIN) – All businesses (except sole proprietorships with no employees) must register with the Internal Revenue Service for a federal tax identification number.
Palm Beach County Application for Business Tax Receipt – All applicants must include this completed form at submittal (561) 355-2272.
Corporation/LLC/Partnership filing documents – If you plan to do business as a corporation, LLC, or partnership, you must first file with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations (850) 245-6051. A printout of the online records or copies of the business entity’s filing documents must be included.
Fictitious Name Registration – If you plan to do business under a name that is neither 1) your full name nor 2) the name of your corporation, you must register the name with the Florida Department of State, Division of Corporations (850) 245-6058.
State or County License/Registration/Certification – If the type of business is regulated by a state or county agency, you must include documentation indicating compliance. These agencies may include:
- Department of Business and Professional Regulation (850) 487-1395. Most professions and contractors.
- Palm Beach County Contractors Certification Division (561) 233-5525. Contractors without state certification.
- Palm Beach County Health Department (561) 840-4500. Child care facilities.
- Florida Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services (800) 435-7352. Food outlets, auto repair, travel agencies, telemarketers, health/dance studios.
- Florida Department of Health (850) 488-0595. Health care professionals, doctors, therapists.
- Florida Office of Financial Regulation. Banks, finance companies, securities brokers.
- Florida DBPR, Division of Hotels & Restaurants. Restaurants, mobile food operators, hotels, motels.
How much do I need to pay for a Business Tax Receipt?
The application fee is $40; this is due at submittal. The yearly fee is calculated based on the type of business and other factors, and is due before issuance of the Business Tax Receipt.